Sunday, March 8, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

We were traveling again last weekend. So the travel exception was the rule, again. So I'm feeling kind of like a lame-o as far as the local eats are concerned. And we were visiting my in-laws in Bend who are the sort of very considerate people who find out that you like dark chocolate and good port and greet you at the door with both. What's a girl to do? I had to be gracious. The port was from the U.S. and the chocolate was...well, chocolate is never from the U.S. And we indulged in big mugs of coffee every morning, with lumps of sugar just because we could. So I can't even pretend that we did our best to stay local while we were away. The best I can do is to say that I was very conscious of the fact that I was eating far-flung foods and vowed to honestly get back on the bandwagon as soon as we rolled back into our home town.

We're back now and here's what we've had for dinner: a curry (of sorts, using spices from the cupboard) made of local turnips, potatoes, and onions. I made some oat groats in a way that sort of resembled brown rice (one cup groats to 1 1/4 cup water, simmered until H2O is absorbed) and served the vegetables over it. Very local. And pretty humble. But pretty good, really. And we have yet to truly suffer any discomfort during this Lenten season. When the dried chili peppers are gone, that will be a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment